Strictly 2026: the start
Given that just a few weeks ago I wasn't even sure that I'd watch Strictly this year, it's a surprise to find myself back here, writing about a show I love in a blog I started before my life changed in a way that was just as surprising as this. More on that another time. I did end up watching - the launch and the first show and I know I'll be there through the whole series. And this morning, I was scrolling social media looking for Strictly reaction and saw someone mention their blog and I thought, that's what I want to do. So here I am. Doing it.
It's been years since I blogged my way through Strictly. Once upon a time, it was how us SCD fans spoke to one another. Now, it's the 50 plus contestant trying to keep up with the 20 somethings. Socials are reacting instantly. Even the official accounts now actually cover the show in depth rather than posting random videos 24 hours later when everyone else has moved on. But blogging is where I feel most at home. I like to think someone else is reading it but, if not, my one viewer (me) is still happy.
So let's start with first impressions and dial down on the detail in other posts (because I intend to be here frequently, antiquated grammar such as brackets included). Walking away from the first show proper there are notes. But the first thing to say is that I unexpectedly enjoyed it. Like really enjoyed it. Not smile through gritted teeth because it's Strictly and I have to be here as part of some weird pact with a show that's been part of my life for two decades. Not in a watching the first one and intend to dip in and out over the coming months but this is hard way. No, it was just in a kind of this is actually fun way and I want to be back.
There are notes. We can't really start any overview without a mention of the new presenters. Emma Willis, Josh Widdicombe and Johannes Radebe left the comfort zone of the pre recorded, planned to the ultimate detail safety of the launch show and plunged into the world of live Strictly. First impressions. Well, not what I expected. This really is turning into a series of surprises. Why are Emma and Josh glued to one another to introduce contestants and then chair the judges' comments? Two really is too much in this part of the show which was always reading out loud. Sir Bruce Forsyth made it his own with all the showmanship he was known for. Tess Daly read out loud. Emma and Josh are reading and occasionally trying jokes but all of it was instantly forgettable. The real loser in the set up was Josh. Emma is a witty live broadcaster and can hold her own. He seemed tacked on for good measure. It needs a refresh.
Up in the Clauditorium, Johannes Radebe had the HUGE shoes of Claudia Winkleman to fill. Johannes has no presenting experience so this was the part that threatened to sink like a stone. Instead, I thought he was really rather good. I doubt it was his choice to keep repeating that there was no public vote as the couples walked up the stairs. No one could hear him and no one cared. We're all bright enough to have understood that at the very start of the show. And now it's all online, how do you vote if the webpage isn't open for it? However, once he had the dancers in his grasp, he was very good at empathising, understanding and just chatting. There's not much meat in a launch show, just lots of people who perform for a living telling the world that performing for a living in this context made them really nervous. Johannes made all of those chats sound different. He's got huge potential. I loved this part.
Johannes also got the memo about glitter and glitz. This is Strictly, we need full on. He served with a fuchsia pink evening suit with palazzo pants and drop waist top. It was gorgeous, he looked glorious and glamourous. Downstairs, Josh was in a brown two piece suit that might look slightly edgy at a family wedding but made him appear like he'd just wandered off the Graham Norton set for the promotional chat. Emma is going for pale pastels to start her Strictly journey and it's all rather elegant. But we need a bit more. If Josh is turning up ready for parents' evening then Emma is going to get lost in the understatement and Strictly is far from understated.
The dancing itself was the usual largely ropey mix of madness that is a start to the series. There were a few standouts, as there always are, and by and large the top seven here will contain at least one finalist. As this is the series of surprises then let's start with John Nellis, a huge star on socials but not really known in mainstream media circles. John had already loaded content asking how long he'd stay and he took to the floor for a foxtrot with all the expectation of potentially being first out when voting opens (not this week, Johannes told you FIFTEEN times). Instead, John was elegant, graceful and looked like a dancer in the making. He's paired with Katya Jones who has never been anything other than amazing and they're top of the week one leaderboard.
Also looking good were Lacey Turner who went Johannes fuchsia for her outfit and turned in a very competent cha, cha complete with a leg kick that most of us need a winch to complete but which she made look effortless. She's with Vito Coppola, another superstar of the Strictly family who has taken three partners to a final already. Lacey falls into the previous stage school experience as does Delta Goodrem who closed out with a stunning samba. Her other half is Kai Widdington, a fan favourite who seems to have kept his following despite a bizarre perm for this year's event. Talking of much loved professionals, Nikita Kuzmin was reunited with Dani Dyer after she had to pull out of last year's show with an injury before she'd even danced on TV. They made it to the dancefloor and delivered a fun samba that again hinted at a pairing with potential. One of those four couples is bound to be dancing for the glitterball come December.
Elsewhere, it was a mix of odd music and even odder routines while Shirley Ballas decided to bring all her usual oddness to the judges' table from the get go by balancing a book on her head and talking in dance language that no one else understands. Craig was the usual voice of reason, Anton has settled into long term Len Goodman mode which is no bad thing and then there's Motsi. Quite why Motsi isn't head judge is beyond me. Once more, she provided a neat, focused upsum for every contestant, touching on different aspects for each and giving them all a moment of support. Plus, she's funny. Motsi at some points appeared more in control of events than Josh or Emma. Swapping the role of head judge through the panel is needed and Motsi should definitely be first in line.
The overarching feeling at the end of episode one was a desperation to be back in the fold. I am looking forward to next week. It's true that this year's bunch of celebs is the least starry ever and the men in particular are a ramshackle bunch. That does leave a bit of a thud in the stomach. But come November, when we're down to just seven or eight couples, the remaining stars will have become so familiar that the disappointment in the line up will start to fade. Strictly really does have a magic and despite my better judgement, I tuned in last night and found it still works on me. I'm glad to be back.
All photos by Guy Levy/ BBC



Comments
Post a Comment